   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblogitems?)

> Well, I think it means that many well-intentioned developers, who want
> to contribute to the Web services vision, aren't being given a
> consistent (or even coherent) message about how exactly they should go
> about doing that.  And I don't see anything happening now to remedy
> that.

Ah c'mon, you've been in the field long enough to know better.

Given the capitalistic and competitive nature of this field, I think we've
made amazing progresss in the past 15-20 years.  We have a global
interconnected network with a single protocol suite, as opposed to islands
with protocol gateways.  We can exchange mail messages, files, and web
pages, so we have some interopable applications.  We now have a single
data representation, so we can exchange structured data essentially
anywhere.

We don't have a single programming language (not PL/I, C, Ada, Java, or
C#), we don't have a single programming model for local programs either.
Why expect a globally consistent message for how to do distributed
computing over the Internet?

I suspect your post was a stalking horse for a REST discussion...

	/r$
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html