   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

David Carlisle suggests XQuery is mainly for querying relational
databases, Elliotte says it's mainly for XML databases, Mike Champion
points to the use cases.

All these answers are reasonable. From the beginning, Quilt and XQuery
focussed on the ability to use the structure of XML as a way to query
anything. When we designed Quilt, relational databases, native XML
stores, and XML files were all vivid in our minds. Here's the abstrat
from the XQuery spec:

    XML is a versatile markup language, capable of labeling the
    information content of diverse data sources including structured
    and semi-structured documents, relational databases, and object
    repositories. A query language that uses the structure of XML
    intelligently can express queries across all these kinds of data,
    whether physically stored in XML or viewed as XML via
    middleware. This specification describes a query language called
    XQuery, which is designed to be broadly applicable across many
    types of XML data sources.

Cheers,

Jonathan