   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

  All these answers are reasonable. From the beginning, Quilt and XQuery
  focussed on the ability to use the structure of XML as a way to query
  anything. When we designed Quilt, relational databases, native XML
  stores, and XML files were all vivid in our minds. Here's the abstrat
  from the XQuery spec:

What seems strange to many people though is why the W3C docs don't
describe (and possibly even define) Xquery as a cut down version of
XSLT, with an ad-hoc syntax. That is, essentially, what it is isn't it?

It may be that restricting the features of XSLT allows the system to be
more readily optimised for dataabse queries, and this is no doubt a
useful thing to do, but if that's what you are doing, why describe it as
a completely new language?

David

http://www.star.net.uk