   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Incremental transformations with Xalan and performance

> I'ld rather implement a solution that has no limitations, so with the lack of
> a true "incremental/SAX" based transformer implementation,  I'm thinking that
> I'll need to move away from the monolithic document approach and store each
> recipient's info in a separate small document to work around the current xslt
> document size limitations.

STX is the best bet for Java. Karl Waclawek is working on a similar tool
for C#-- it is not XSLT based per se but more XPath based on top of SAX.
I think a third solution exists, but it would be up to someone else to
confirm:

It sounds as though your plan is to have a highly repetitive large
document. In fact most large documents I have seen are designed this
way-- so instead, simply apply the transformations to chunks of the
document at a time. Any cross referencing that needs to be done can be
passed in via additional parameters. To chunk the data, build a SAX
filter which pipes the sets of events to the XSLT processor (like
SAXON), which will internally build a tree for the small chunk.

To further optimize this approach, build the tree yourself and use the
SAX processor to update the tree for each chunk.

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter