   Re: [xml-dev] XML Economics was: Re: [xml-dev] Data streams

On Wed,  8 Dec 2004 07:58:39 +1100, david.lyon@computergrid.net
<david.lyon@computergrid.net> wrote:

> Hmm... good point....
>
> Given the choice I personally prefer the optimisation
> route..
>
> It only takes one user to come along and do a comparison
> of how slow or fast it happens, work out the truth that
> the parsers are crap... and then people look stupid
> don't they.

Nope, I don't use crap, I use Saxon...

> That's why I do believe there is space for efficient
> parsers. I use speed optimised parsers. But before
> they were optimised, they did struggle with big files
> and lot's of data.
>
> I'm a speed freak... just cannot help it..
>
> bring on the assembly language subroutines...

There's a place for everything, but I'll perform no optimization
before it is shown necessary.  Bottlenecks rarely showup where you
expect them.

--
Peter Hunsberger