   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

Umm... right.

The trends are still aggregation and niche burglary.  In English,
any business with a reasonably fat data pipeline, particularly
those in need of viz tools, are seeking each other with the
matchmaker being the global services megamarts like IBM scooping
up the profits.  They will quickly be followed by the data marts
like Google who are applying their ever smarter search/mining toolkits
to ever narrower topical domains.

http://news.com.com/Images+IBMs+crime-fighting+software/2009-1012_3-5562665.
html?tag=st.prev

Those guys weren't in our business last year, but I was expecting
them as soon as they saw the money.   The only IP left is the
middleware with the business rules.

So, currently, it's still about interfaces and message types, and
trying to find a protected niche.  It gets harder every day to
make a buck in software.  The Wal-Marts of the Web are quickly
taking out even the larger local shops.

len