   Re: [xml-dev] [About Unicode] Why the symbol LOGICAL NOT ismissing from

rick said:

>what if i proposed a "green" xml. transmitting bits requires energy.
>large character sets mean that you have to transmit more bits and
>thus use more energy and contribute to global warming. so in an
>effort to improve the green credentials of xml we should really try
>to get by on as few letters as possible. my suggestion would be a-z
>(you probably noticed my lack of interest in capitalisation), 0-9,
>some punctuation ., a few useful symbols <>&?[! and every culture
>(including latin languages) can adapt.
>
>:)
>
>oh, yeah - better add all the symbols needed for smileys - have to
>have priorities here.
>
>rick

rick:

And your point?

1. What you describe above, is what we have already done.

2. As for "green", we (English speaking countries) comprise
approximately 3 percent of the worlds population while consuming the
far more than our "fair" share of natural resources, and everything
else for that matter -- much like what we've done in number 1.
Something akin to fractals, large consumption pattern simply composed
of smaller repeating habits.

3. As for transmitting bits, larger char-sets do not mean larger
transmission. It only means that the scope of char-sets has been
expanded -- we cannot go back. It cost as much to say 8-bits in Latin
as it does to say 8-bits in Chinese.

tedd
http://sperling.com/