   Re: [xml-dev] What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>> If every platform had excellent support for SOAP+WSDL including the
>> monster that is XSD, then we wouldn't be having this debate.
>
> Wrong. SOAP's broken by design. Even if every platform supported it
> perfectly, REST would still when in the end.

That's comparing apples to apple pie. Apples win for generality; apple
pie wins for pie.

If every platform supported SOAP perfectly, SOAP would be more widely used.

>> This is the
>> same way railing against Javascript-based websites became passe once
>> Firefox cloned a bunch of the IE-specific APIs and Google started using
>> them to build their newer websites.
>
> Wrong again. JavaScript's still evil, though perhaps marginally less so
> in browsers where it can't be used to bombard the user with pop-ups and
> spam.

Dancing's still evil, though perhaps marginally less so when performed
with clothes on. ;-}

Bob Foster