   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Non-infoset

Alessandro Triglia wrote:

> I have often heard the comment that the infoset is not important because nobody uses it except spec writers.  I am trying to understand whether "nobody uses it" means "people typically need to express more than the infoset contains" or whether it means "people don't use the word 'infoset'".

Neither. It means that the local data model used by the consumer and the
producer is almost never the infoset. Rather it is the data model of
whatever tool they are using, be that SAX, DOM, XOM, XPath or something
else. These tools themselves normally predate the infoset and are not
based on it. They are often incompatible with it in subtle but important
ways.