   Re: [xml-dev] incompatible uses of XML Schema

Micah Dubinko wrote:

> I hope this doesn't come across as flippant, but how about Relax NG?
>
> Or how about trang converting to Relax NG and back to XSD?
>
> .micah

Not flippant at all.  It might be a good approach for some things.

My current thinking is that you would need proxy tools which both
rewrite the
schema to suit the capabilities of the client and rewrite the documents
accordingly,
to the smallest extent possible.

For example, a client system that does not allow recursion: either you need
to add ranking to names (alpha-lifting: shades of SGML!) or you need to
flatten the document (and therefore need a linking or key arrangement.)

Perhaps vendors should be encouraged more to clearly state the limits
to the conformance of their main products pages:
   We don't support wildcards.
   We don't support xsi':type
   We don't support elements-in-elements
   We don't enforce unambiguity