   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Language Theorie concerning XML Schema (heavy,atleast

Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Bob Foster writes:
>>Hmm. XercesJ reports three errors (not warnings) from this schema of
>>the form:
>>
>>Error - src-resolve: Cannot resolve the name 'unknownX' to a(n) 'type
>>definition' component.
>>
>>Where X is one of: 1, 2, 3;
>
> How did you invoke Xerces?

Um, cut & paste. Perhaps you mean why? Because I've seen it flag
dangling references before and wanted to check my own sanity.

> I'm not a Xerces user, but I am pretty
> sure the REC says that instance is schema valid per the schema
> corresponding to that schema doc.
>
> It's also true that that schema is not 'complete' or 'self-contained',
> but it's not broken as such.  The REC is very clear that dangling
> references that aren't needed for validation are not an error.

Oh, is that the point the REC is very clear on? ;-}

I apologize for that. Seriously, XercesJ is a very widely used parser
and the example wasn't in any way an obscure corner case. I hate to pick
on you while you're trying to help out a user, but this doesn't
reinforce the notion that conformance issues are largely behind us.

Bob Foster