   Re: [xml-dev] Jim Gray article on Next Generation Databases

On 5/4/05, Ken North <kennorth@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> As others noted, however,  these ideas have been around for a long
> time, e.g. MUMPS was a DB deeply integrated into an OS and programming
> language;
>
> Other examples of database integrated into the OS
>
> Microdata Reality (1974) -- first minicomputer to do this
> IBM System 38 (1978) -- ancestor of the AS/400.
>
> If I remember correctly, Microdata used a microprogrammable instruction set for
> the Reality. (Microcode implemented data management operators as part of the
> machine's instruction set.)

Interesting: somewhere between  1982 - 88  I sat down with a bunch of
hardware geeks who where looking at a way of exploiting a highly
parallel design (multicore RISC) they had come up with and suggesting
they do hardware/microcode based tree manipulation. (Never went
anywhere, but I still have the notebooks in a closet.)  At the time I
hadn't been able to come up with any other hardware based data
management, but then again, I was only peripherally aware of the
Microdata.  How is that you stumbled across it?

--
Peter Hunsberger