   Re: [xml-dev] Jim Gray article on Next Generation Databases

Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>> At the time I hadn't been able to come up with any other hardware based data
management, but then again, I was only peripherally aware of the
Microdata.  How is that you stumbled across it?

When Dick Pick and Don Nelson worked for TRW, they were the architects of a DBMS
named GIM that ran on IBM mainframes. After Pick left TRW, he formed a company
and struck a deal to port the DBMS to Microdata minicomputers. About the time
Pick and Associates were working on the Reality port, my task was to develop a
paging solution for GIM that would work with demand-paged virtual memory being
introduced by IBM.

About a year later, our lab took delivery of a rare computer called a Nanodata
QM-1. It was used for microprogramming R&D and designing new hardware. (One of
the early projects was a Concurrent Pascal machine.)

Microdata Reality was the pre-cursor to the Pick OS, another operating system
with a tightly-integrated DBMS.

www.WebServicesSummit.com
www.SQLSummit.com
www.GridSummit.com