   Re: [xml-dev] Call for Participation: W3C Workshop on XML Schema1.0 User

Michael Champion wrote:

>From what I've learned writing the MS position paper: I can't really
>forsee anyone making a convincing argument that XSD is hopelessly
>broken and should be scrapped,

It's not broken. It's awkward, it's verbose, it's entrenched. I would be
very surprised to wake up 10 years from now and find that people have
stopped using W3C XML Schema. A simpler schema language would certainly
have helped XQuery, but it's too late for that.

>but I can very easily imagine that
>people are finding ways to use XSD in a complementary way with
>Schematron, RELAX NG, XSLT, etc. to address its limitations.

Yes.

>There are
>a bunch of problematic features that need work to be implemented the
>same way by everyone, but contributing to the test suite and doing
>test-driven development seems to the most appropriate way forward.
>[Yup, "grind it out on the ground".]   For better or worse, there
>don't seem to be any subsets that remove significant problems without
>losing functionality that a significant community of people out there
>find important.

Compatibility is the biggest issue for me. I wish I could test a schema
with one processor and assume it would work in the same way on most
other serious processors.

Jonathan