   Re: [xml-dev] What are web services ?

On 29 May 2005, at 17:42, Razvan MIHAIU wrote:

>>              Were can I find a good definition of this ?

my definition is it's a service made available using Web based
technologies targeted at computer, as opposed to human, agents.

Some attempts at definitions:

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_services
http://ws-i.org/about/Default.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/
Google until your blue in the face ..

>> A web service must be based on SOAP in order to belong in this
>> category ? A web service must use XML for transferring data (like
>> SOAP) ?

Web services are synonymous with SOAP, WSDL and UDDI in many
peoples' eyes, though they've taken so long to arrive
that the marketeers are busy re-branding it 'SOA', I
guess SOAP is now Service Oriented Architecture Protocol :-)

>> Can we have web services without WSDL and UDDI ?

Sure, why ever not? It's the service that's important, not
how you elect to describe, catalogue or sell them.

http://blog.whatfettle.com