   Re: [xml-dev] Document oriented experience reports anyone?

Michael Champion wrote:
>  What about "greenfield" projects?  For example, is
> there anything public that analyzes why the OASIS OpenDocument TC
> chose RELAX NG over XSD or DTD?

I wrote an XML Schema for SVG Full 1.1, and another for SVG Tiny 1.1.
Doing so taught me a number of things:

  * 85% of XML Schema is thoroughly useless and without value;
  * the few useful features are weak and without honour;
  * creating a modularized XML Schema is easier than with DTDs, but
    nowhere near as simple as with RNG;
  * while a zillion useless features have been included in the spec,
    anything useful such as making attributes part of the content model
    has obviously been weeded out with great care, basically leaving one
    with DTDs supporting namespaces, a few cardinality bits, no entities,
    and loads of cruft;
  * tools like XML Spy that are supposed to help one write schemata will
    produce very obviously wrong instances, meanwhile the syntax of XML
    Schema was obviously produced by someone who grew up at the bottom of
    a deep well in the middle of a dark, wasteful moor where he was
    tortured daily by abusive giant squirrels and wishes to share his
    pain with the world;
  * the resulting schema is mostly useless anyway as there is no tool
    available that will process it correctly.

So my take is I'm not going to the workshop not because I don't want to
give feedback about XML Schema, but simply because XML Schema is
irrelevant. If I were president of the world I'd make XML Schema a
chapter in the WSDL spec and use a combination of RelaxNG and Schematron
instead.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist