   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] Candle 0.8 - a new scripting language for XML

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> "XML is only semi-structured with no explicit type information." is a
> feature, not a bug. Removing it makes the data less useful, and the format
> fairly uninteresting. XML would not be where it is today if it featured
> strong data typing.

Why wouldn't it?  In a sensibly well-designed XML-with-data-types, the
untyped (textual, PCDATA) values would be just one of the datatypes. So,
any document in XML-as-we-know-it would be a well-formed document in
XML-with-datatypes.  Anyone not interested in types is free to ignore
them.  (Maybe it is even still possible to define XML-with-datatypes as
an extension of XML 1.0, maintaining backward compatibility?)

VG