   RE: [xml-dev] The Best Technologies Don't Win

> I think this confuses the most votes of managers and the most
> votes of web developers. I doubt most people building web
> applications care about or have much use for XSD.
>
> One evidence of this is that the choice of XSD seemed to be
> achieved fairly rapidly, as if it were already agreed on by
> conference goers before release of the final spec.

I don't think there are any applications being written nowadays that aren't
web applications.

But if by "web developers" you mean people who do HTML and a bit of PHP then
you're certainly right.

I think your second paragraph is also right: many corporations (both vendors
and users), and many applications standards bodies, chose XSD and became
committed to it long before its deficiencies became apparent. They chose it
because their requirements matched XSD's design goals, and on the strength
of W3C's previous track record.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/