   Re: [xml-dev] CLAX - Client-side functionality

peter murray-rust wrote:
> At 21:40 24/07/2006, Mitch Amiano wrote:
>> So what you're looking for is a hollow shell, an application
>> framework with which capabilities can be provisioned on the fly, from
>> libraries obtained over the net?
>
> Yes
>
>> Or with less tightly coupled code, a sort of desktop metaphor for
>> working with XML? A Web Grazer as it were, since you need to ruminate
>> on the data and "chew the cud".
>
> Grazer - Nice phrase :-)

It comes from a project I did to investigate how well Jython could serve
as an integration platform to tie together Java libraries into a
rudimentary "4GL" toolkit.  I went so far as to produce a swing
project/item manager, items being XML documents opend into source editor
panes.  A Saxon-based XQuery capability was as far as I went with it,
but it had met my expectations.  Next step would be to add additional
Java libraries for other XML types; Batik to render SVG types of items
,etc. I can see how CLAX applies to operations performed on the XML
items, for instance helping decide that Saxon-B would provide "XQuery
Capability".  I don't see how the service metaphor facilitates a "SVG
Capability", because that implies a tighter coupling.

>> Is there no room in CLAX for visualization and interaction with the
>> user?
>
> Of course there will be lots. See the bioclipse screenshots. But I
> wanted to stress the non-interactive aspects.

I can accept that for this discussion; the two
(interactive|non-interactive) are quite different I think, at least if
you view non-interactive as being reduced to a series of http requests.