Re: [xml-dev] SGML complexity

Philippe Poulard said:
> juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
>>
>> transforming this
>>
>> <math code="LaTeX">x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}</math>
>>
>> to this
>>
>> <math>
>>   <mi>x</mi>
>>   <mo>=</mo>
>>   <mfrac>
>>     <mrow>
>>       <mrow>
>>         <mo>-</mo>
>>         <mi>b</mi>
>>       </mrow>
>>       <mo>&PlusMinus;</mo>
>>       <msqrt>
>>         <msup>
>>           <mi>b</mi>
>>           <mn>2</mn>
>>         </msup>
>>         <mo>-</mo>
>>         <mrow>
>>           <mn>4</mn>
>>           <mo>&InvisibleTimes;</mo>
>>           <mi>a</mi>
>>           <mo>&InvisibleTimes;</mo>
>>           <mi>c</mi>
>>         </mrow>
>>       </msqrt>
>>     </mrow>
>>     <mrow>
>>       <mn>2</mn>
>>       <mo>&InvisibleTimes;</mo>
>>       <mi>a</mi>
>>     </mrow>
>>   </mfrac>
>> </math>
>>
>> can be a nightmare in XSLT 1 (specially when compared with JS-DOM or
>> PHP methods). I do not know of XSLT 2 new capabilities but Mike here
>> could say us something.
>>

> If I had such a transformation to perform, I would simply do it like
> this : <xsl:template match="math[code='LaTeX'"]>
>      <xsl:value-of select="lib:latex2mathml( . )"/>
> <xsl:template>
> or even if you don't know how to bind a function library to your XSLT
> processor :
> <xsl:template match="math[code='LaTeX'"]>
>      <xsl:value-of select="document( concat(
> 'http://my.rest.service/latex/2/mathml?code=', . ) )"/>
> <xsl:template>

And sure i can also reference a .js from the XSLT and final doc is
transformed to mathml ouput on the fly.

And sure also i could do full match pattern transforming predefined
equations and store several billions of predefined patterns in an external
file.

And sure...

But difficult to believe i was using XSLT for the transformation.

> Nobody said that XSLT must be standalone, and I'm sure it's easy to find
>  a converter for LaTeX.

Please point some doing _exactly_ the transformation i wrote.

> As you combined some XML tags with LaTeX, why not using both tools and
> make a smart bridge between them ?

Combination of XML with LaTeX is common practice since MathML is too
verbose. Several MathML tools work in that way. Combination of c-MathML
with TeX is also defined in the MathML spec.

What you mean by "make a smart bridge between them"

> --
> Cordialement,
>
>                ///
>               (. .)