Re: [xml-dev] SGML complexity

juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
> Philippe Poulard said:
>
>>juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
>>
>>>transforming this
>>>
>>><math code="LaTeX">x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}</math>
>>>
>>>to this
>>>
>>><math>
>>>  <mi>x</mi>
>>>  <mo>=</mo>
>>>  <mfrac>
>>>    <mrow>
>>>      <mrow>
>>>        <mo>-</mo>
>>>        <mi>b</mi>
>>>      </mrow>
>>>      <mo>&PlusMinus;</mo>
>>>      <msqrt>
>>>        <msup>
>>>          <mi>b</mi>
>>>          <mn>2</mn>
>>>        </msup>
>>>        <mo>-</mo>
>>>        <mrow>
>>>          <mn>4</mn>
>>>          <mo>&InvisibleTimes;</mo>
>>>          <mi>a</mi>
>>>          <mo>&InvisibleTimes;</mo>
>>>          <mi>c</mi>
>>>        </mrow>
>>>      </msqrt>
>>>    </mrow>
>>>    <mrow>
>>>      <mn>2</mn>
>>>      <mo>&InvisibleTimes;</mo>
>>>      <mi>a</mi>
>>>    </mrow>
>>>  </mfrac>
>>></math>
>>>
>>>can be a nightmare in XSLT 1 (specially when compared with JS-DOM or
>>>PHP methods). I do not know of XSLT 2 new capabilities but Mike here
>>>could say us something.
>>>

>>If I had such a transformation to perform, I would simply do it like
>>this : <xsl:template match="math[code='LaTeX'"]>
>>     <xsl:value-of select="lib:latex2mathml( . )"/>
>><xsl:template>
>>or even if you don't know how to bind a function library to your XSLT
>>processor :
>><xsl:template match="math[code='LaTeX'"]>
>>     <xsl:value-of select="document( concat(
>>'http://my.rest.service/latex/2/mathml?code=', . ) )"/>
>><xsl:template>
>

> And sure i can also reference a .js from the XSLT and final doc is
> transformed to mathml ouput on the fly.

I'm not sure that client side Javascript is also the best language to
parse LaTeX and create a MathML document.

> And sure also i could do full match pattern transforming predefined
> equations and store several billions of predefined patterns in an external
> file.

What kind of programmer would consider such an ugly idea ?

> And sure...
>
> But difficult to believe i was using XSLT for the transformation.
>

>>Nobody said that XSLT must be standalone, and I'm sure it's easy to find
>> a converter for LaTeX.
>

> Please point some doing _exactly_ the transformation i wrote.

Maybe your own tool ? You are telling again and again that XSLT is not
suitable for such transformation, I do really agree on this point.

Others here :
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=latex2xml

>>As you combined some XML tags with LaTeX, why not using both tools and
>>make a smart bridge between them ?
>

> Combination of XML with LaTeX is common practice since MathML is too
> verbose. Several MathML tools work in that way. Combination of c-MathML
> with TeX is also defined in the MathML spec.
>
> What you mean by "make a smart bridge between them"

I just mean to use an external LaTeX converter from XSLT, as I suggested
in the template above.

--
Cordialement,

               ///