Re: [xml-dev] XML-DEV list

At 03:43 AM 9/27/2006, peter murray-rust wrote:
>I read one or two other XML-niche lists and they are very focussed
>and very helpful. They have an effective guru or BDFL - that makes
>all the difference.

         First off, a silly question...."BDFL?"

>I have seen two issues here (CLAX and XLink) be discussed sensibly
>and nearly get off the ground. With a bit of  leadership a la DavidM
>I think they could. I cannot do this myself.

         It's also good to remember that these things take time,
especially for the more complex issues, like XLink. From the
discussions had here in the past week, I'm on page 17 of what will
likely be a 40 page document discussing how to deal with linking
issues. When I'm done, it'll be posted for commentary.

         But 40 page documents don't appear overnight. Half the
problem with xml-dev is the attention span of the readers. If
somebody doesn't come up with a brilliant solution (or at least,
something substantive to continue the discussion) people go on with
the whole, "Ho-hum! So much for that discussion!" and as participant
in various such discussions, it really doesn't give one the impetus
to contribute.

         In addition, a lot of people are quite happy to point out
problems, but not so inclined to discuss solutions, which is another
way this list differs from its origins. For example, I've asked the
semantic side of the linking discussion to come up with solutions. A
few have, but most simply stopped talking. I also asked if anybody
wanted to volunteer to help me bring together the presentation side
of links and the semantic side of links. So far? No takers.

         Complaining about problems is a good thing. But without
being willing to provide solutions, or even ideas about solutions, it
amounts to little more than being a curmudgeon, or at worst, a troll.

         That said -- on the XLink discussion side of things, stuff
is happening over here. Whether it's of any value is another story,
but hopefully the interested participants of the list will help me to
hone my mediocre stab at the problem.

         More on that when I finish writing up my ideas.

--->Ben