Re: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions - losing the PC

On 1/17/07, david.lyon@preisshare.net <david.lyon@preisshare.net> wrote:

> Quoting Bill Kearney <wkearney99@hotmail.com>:
>
> > 3D from anything other than a gaming perspective (incl 2nd life and the
> > like) is a failure.  It was a flop back in the early 90's too.  It has
> > nothing to do with technology.  Making visually appealing AND /useful/ three
> > dimensional imagery is hard, a lot more so than you'd think.  Thus besides
> > gaming there's not been much uptake for it.
>
> Not so.
>
> Apple use OpenGL and 3D effects and there is no way that can be
> considered a failure.. just look at the stock price....
>
> After venturing into 3D a little... now I really love it....
>
> There's so many subtle ways of using opengl in user interfaces that it
> is a mind blow...
>
> Tied with xml or whatever other markup you want, it could be made to
> do some really neat things...
>

> David

Desktop designer's are already adding 3D to desktops:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beryl&search=Search

But I don't think normal applications have nothing to do with 3D.  But
seems normal users can start installing with "3D enhanced" desktops.
So maybe this year will be a start, because of 3 main OS  (Mac, Linux
and Win) all will support a "3D enhanced" desktop. If only, adding
blurry for transparent consoles on all 3 OS will be good first step :D

 - - -

Graphic designers are creating SVG based icons for perfect viewing any
resolution:
http://www.everaldo.com/crystal.html

Anyway seems that bitmaps are still usable. The OS will cache
vectorial images as bitmaps anyway, to only render these once. 2007
don't seems to become the year of vectorial icons more than 2006.