Re: [xml-dev] RELAX NG equivalent of <xsd:any processContents="lax">?

Hi Noah,

It is not necessary to modify the existing official XML Schema provided for SOAP by W3C. I think the purpose of the example in the tutorial was to emphasize on the necessity to avoid ambiguity when using <anyName>, not to show the one and only way of doing things.

For example, it is possible to write a RELAX NG schema that would validate interesting elements (such as purchaseOrder in your example) within whatever container vocabulary(soap in your example), except the vocabulary of the interesting elements; the interesting elements can be defined in this schema or another one:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<grammar xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">
    <start>
        <ref name="rootElement"></ref>
    </start>

    <define name="rootElement">
        <element>
            <anyName>
                <except>
                    <nsName ns="http://interestingElements.com"></nsName>
                </except>
            </anyName>
            <ref name="children"></ref>
        </element>
    </define>

    <define name="children">
        <zeroOrMore>
            <element>
                <anyName>
                    <except>
                        <nsName ns="http://interestingElements.com"></nsName>
                    </except>
                </anyName>
                <ref name="children"></ref>
            </element>
        </zeroOrMore>
        <optional>
            <ref name="interestingElements"></ref>
        </optional>
    </define>

    <define name="interestingElements">
        <choice>
            <externalRef href=""interestingElement1.rng"/>             <externalRef href=""interestingElement2.rng"/>        </choice>
    </define>
</grammar>

The document can be validated against the official SOAP schema for the container structure and against the other schema for the content. If one of the validations fails, the document is not valid.

Greetings,

Radu Cernuta