Re: [xml-dev] Re: [ubl-dev] Top 10 uses of XML in 2007

Stephen Green wrote:
> Hi Elliotte
>
> Can any of these arguments be verified?

Yes, and I've published measurements in the past as have others.

> " (Compare OpenDocument to the
> equivalent Microsoft Office binary, for example.)"
>
> isn't that specious? The OO file is zipped and both are XML
> for the main part, to varying degrees turned into binary
> (depending on which version of the MS office file you mean).

I specifically said the Microsoft Office binary format. I have not
tested the new Microsoft XML format so I don't know how it is size wise.
However, their old binary formats are larger than the OpenOffice
formats. Just open any Word file in OpenOffice, save it in OpenOffice,
unzip it, and compare. You can see for yourself.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!