Re: [xml-dev] Re: [ubl-dev] Top 10 uses of XML in 2007

Original Message From: "Elliotte Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
> Stephen Green wrote:
>> Hi Elliotte
>>
> I specifically said the Microsoft Office binary format. I have not tested
> the new Microsoft XML format so I don't know how it is size wise. However,
> their old binary formats are larger than the OpenOffice formats. Just open
> any Word file in OpenOffice, save it in OpenOffice, unzip it, and compare.
> You can see for yourself.

Don't know about the new MS XML format, but I did a quick test with Word
2003 on a randomly selected document:

.doc version: 115,712 bytes
.xml version: 205,102 bytes

Odt size from Open Office: 26,557 bytes

From these results we can confidently and emphatically conclude not a lot
really!

Other than perhaps it's best not to consider the Word format as the
benchmark for binary coding efficiency.

I don't think you could ever accuse Microsoft with being economical with
their file formats.

:-)

Pete.
Pete Cordell