Re: [xml-dev] Re: [ubl-dev] Top 10 uses of XML in 2007

Stephen Green wrote:

> Isn't this all just too obvious to debate?

No, it isn't. A lot of people think it is, but it's not. In fact, there
just aren't the measurements to prove the advantages most people claim
in general purpose scenarios.

The binary folks have mostly forgotten (or never knew) the first and
second rules of optimization. The first rule is don't do it.

The second  rule (and this one's for experts only) is don't do it
without very careful measurements of exactly what it is you're trying to
optimize and exactly what it is that's causing those operations to take
longer.

The bottom line is that most of us rarely if ever need anything smaller
or faster than XML. I think the proof of this is how much slower and
larger a lot of binary file formats such as Microsoft Office's are in
practice. If anyone really needed these to be smaller, they would have
complained about that, irrespective of whether it's binary or not.

Any message that starts off with the claim that we must make XML smaller
or faster by changing it to binary is suspect. That is not where
informed optimization starts. Informed optimization starts with
measurements of systems and demonstrations that the existing performance
  is inadequate for the use case. This is followed by profiling to
demonstrate where the time (or size, or battery life) is actually going.

Only if those two steps demonstrate that XML is actually the problem can
you then reasonably consider improving or replacing it. Anybody who
starts off with a claim that we have to go to binary, or for that matter
starts off with any claim related to performance without those two
prerequisites, is wasting our time. If there even is a problem (more
often than not there isn't) it's almost never what they think it is.

The only folks I've heard make any reasonably informed claims about XML
issues that might suggest going to a different format are in the mobile
community, and their major problem is battery life, not size.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!