From: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com [mailto:noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com]
Sent: ג 20 פברואר 2007 19:07
To: Shlomo Yona
Cc: Pete Cordell; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] a namespace definitions related question(s)

Shlomo Yona write:

> What I'm asking is, is there a downside to "semantically"
> matching start/end tags by using namespace information?

Yes indeed, there is a big downside.   Part of the value that XML brings
to the industry is good, uniform interoperability.  What's accepted by one
XML processor is generally accepted by another.  That's true across
software vendors and hardware platforms.  The same XML documents will
likely be successfully readable by pretty much any commercial or open
source XML database, by a range of "office" applications, by XML editors,
by XSL-based styling tools, etc., etc..   While there can be sort of
oddball reasons for occasionally using software that accepts input that
does not conform to the specifications, proliferation of software that
fails to enforce the specifications encourages people to write and
exchange buggy XML documents.  That in turn puts pressure on those who
have written "correct" software to modify it to accept whatever sorts of
documents seem to be flying around.  But, and this is the really big
problem, there's no specification for such looser content, so there are no
test cases, so everyone's likely to do it differently.  The
interoperability that made XML valuable in the first place is lost.

Now, if you're asking:  if the XML and Namespaces Recommendations had been
developed together, rather than one after the other, might there have been
some other options open for tag matching?  Yes probably.  But that's not
how the specifications were developed.  By the time Namespaces were being
crafted, XML was already a stable Recommendation.  The designers of
Namespaces made the call that their specifications would apply only to
documents that were already legal XML, and that meant that they could not
even seriously consider matching tags at the semantic level you're asking
about.

Given that the specifications are as they are, I'd strongly urge you to
write content that conforms, and to use software that enforces such
conformance, wherever reasonably practical.  The payoff for you is that
your XML will work with an extraordinarily broad range of current and
future software.  They payoff for everyone else is that none of our
support lines will be ringing with bug reports like:  "my XML works in
Shlomo's software, how come it doesn't work with yours?".

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142