Re: [xml-dev] XML without a net - XPackage step for XProc?

On 21/12/2007, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> Stephen Green wrote:
> > I just think what is obviously needed is a genaralisation of what ODF and OOXML
> > have solved by zipping and manifesting (as did other archive solutions such as
> > .war and .ear). Just a matter of standardizing the folder structure,
> > manifest file
> > format (which acts like an XML Catalogue file) and the compression
>

> Err, surely you'd need an Oasis catalog too?
> Can you guarantee that the instance is using the locally
> provided entities?

Maybe if the instance is read from the zipped file and the zipped
file has a special extension then applications will just have to handle
all this if they support the filetype with that extension.

> Messy if the instance needs changing
> just for transport? Easier to generate the catalog
> at the time that you're packaging the set, then add
> the catalog.

That's what was thinking. Maybe it needs an adaptation
of OASIS catalog standard specially for this usage.

>   Then how to ensure that this catalog is used
> as apposed to the other three you have on your system
> for various purposes....

Again a special adaptation of Catalog for this purpose might
solve this.

--
Stephen Green

Partner