Re: [xml-dev] [main] SQL instead of XQuery

Dmitry Turin wrote:

> So there is no advantages of XQuery (let's make comparison
> characteristic during all time, instead to agitate for only one
technology).

I think you misunderstood my point.  The advantage I'm claiming for XML
over relational as a model in this case is that not just the lists of
customers (which indeed can be handled fine in relational), but also the
XML document that is the template for all the individual insurance
policies, as well as the XML documents that are the actual policies with
just the pertinent paragraphs and data values for each customer all fit
nicely into a single, unified XML data model.  The XQuery language deals
with that model directly and can, for example, not only select the
customers of interest, but populate result documents with the required
paragraphs, in order, and mixed content including data values for each
policy.  I'm not a SQL expert, but I have the strong impression that it's
not as well tuned as XQuery for doing such data driven document
manipulation.  By the way, the policy documents can also be stored in the
same XML database as the customer list, so it's relatively easy to do a
join in which you select all the policy documents containing XML tags with
certain values that match the corresponding values in the customer list,
for example.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation