Re: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> I think most implementers use the Unicode support in their programming
> languages or standard Unicode libraries for parsing Unicode, because
> it's too much work to roll your own. It's odd to tell someone who relies
> on newer versions of Unicode that although the characters of their
> language work fine on their computer and can be displayed in their word
> process, we require XML parsers to check each character to ensure that
> they do not support these characters.

Really? In the case of of characters added in Unicode 3.0 and later
there's very little if any support for them in the major operating
systems. Possibly you can add it in, but it ain't easy. They certainly
do not "work fine on their computer and can be displayed in their word
process"

XML has much better support for more languages than any word processor
or operating system I've ever seen. (Here I do mean the end user
definition of an OS such as Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, etc; not just the
CS definition of OS)

Maybe there's a Linux distro somewhere that supports Cherokee,
Cambodian, or Amharic. There certainly isn't Windows or Mac OS X that
does though.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!