Re: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

On Feb 19, 2008 3:51 PM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just pointing out that it would be hard to process XML if I
> couldn't easily type the name characters - if an element name
> contained a symbol how would I go about entering that symbol?

I think, easy typability on keyboard should not be the only criteria
for XML name semantics. Much of the XML that exists today is generated
by computer programs. Many programs being automated systems, should
have flexibility for selecting characters for XML names.

> Perhaps XML names could be considered the programming langauge of XML
> - just as everyone programs in the same Java or HTML, everyone could
> be perfectly happy to program in the same XML...

This is a very interesting interpretation of XML names. I like the thought ...

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi