From: Alexander Johannesen [mailto:alexander.johannesen@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:38 AM
To: Steve Bjorg
Cc: fmeschini@tin.it; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] R: Re: [xml-dev] Is "XML" an abbreviation or an
acronym?

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 20:15, Steve Bjorg <steveb@mindtouch.com> wrote:
> As pointed out by others, XML is an abbreviation.  The sheer fact that it
> contains no vowels should make it clear that it's unpronounceable as an
> acronym.

Hang on; from http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1
"FBI" is listed* as an acronym, and it too is clearly not
pronounceable. Now what? I don't think it is clear at all.

* "Western languages make extensive use of acronyms such as "GmbH",
"NATO", and "F.B.I."

Alex
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps