Re: [xml-dev] Transformation of RelaxNG syntax into presentationof required markup

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> Jirka Kosek wrote:
>> ... It is not in English so it was not published as
>> real OSS project. ..
> How can we improve the situation (the general case of non-English
> software, not the specific software)?

I don't think that there is a big problem actually. In this particular
case student simply hasn't followed my recommendation to use identifiers
and comments in English and he has been appropriately punished ;-)

> We are currently having discussions about making an Apache project for
> the ISO DSDL software:
> RELAX NG, Schematron and so on. Too early to say if it will go ahead
> yet. But much of the RELAX NG
> software is written by Japanese, so we will have the same issues. As
> there becomes more OSS developers
> who are not fluent in English than those who are, it is an issue where
> some approach or idea might be necessary.

I think English is so dominant language in IT that each developer should
have at least basic knowledge of English necessary to wrote
identifiers/comments in English. User documentation can be written by
someone else who has better English skills or translated from native
language to English/other languages. But of course this is my opinion
based on fact that my native language uses same script as English. It is
probably much more difficult to learn English if you have to learn new
script first.

			Jirka

OpenPGP digital signature