Re: [xml-dev] Transformation of RelaxNG syntax into presentationof required markup

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> I think English is so dominant language in IT that each developer should
> have at least basic knowledge of English necessary to wrote
> identifiers/comments in English. User documentation can be written by
> someone else who has better English skills or translated from native
> language to English/other languages. But of course this is my opinion
> based on fact that my native language uses same script as English. It is
> probably much more difficult to learn English if you have to learn new
> script first.

But certainly in China you simply cannot guarantee fluency.

And, with no disrespect intended, the further away the language is from
English, the more difficult it is.

So I can accept, for example, saying that people from Hindu-European
language background can be expected to learn English. But I suspect that
when you go beyond that, to languages with very different rules, it can
add a real burden.  Remembering also that writing and reading are
different skills in CJK (rather than the same skill as it is for
alphabetic scripts), and that people from respect-based cultures or
shame-based educational systems.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe