RE: [xml-dev] Pragmatic namespaces

> > No, the HTML WG has to come up with a mechanism that the
> rest of the
> > community is happy with (or at least, is prepared to live with). If
> > they fail to do so, they will fail.
> Eh?? The XML community cannot pretend to be or speak for the
> HTML community. There is no push to change namespaces except
> for HTML by the HTML WG.

My reading of this conversation was that there is some deep-rooted unease
about namespaces within the XML community, and a feeling that the HTML WGs
problems are not unique to HTML and might be the stimulus for improvements
at the XML level that would benefit everyone.
> I think the key issue is non-distruptiveness. The XML side
> won't accept something that is too disruptive on balance

Agreed. My suggestion of a "vocabulary definition" used to resolve
undeclared prefixes and unprefixed element names was designed with that in
mind. It would accept the current XML syntax and deliver the current
> (My own opinion is that this is all a side-effect of the
> W3C's intense desire to avoid anything like a long-term plan
> or a co-ordinated strategy.

W3C does not have intense desires. It's a collection of a lot of people with
different intense desires, working within processes that give each of them a

Michael Kay