Re: [xml-dev] Pragmatic namespaces

rjelliffe@allette.com.au wrote:
>>> the right problem being having a namespaces-like mechanism
>>> that the HTML working group would be happy with.
>> No, the HTML WG has to come up with a mechanism that the rest of the
>> community is happy with (or at least, is prepared to live with). If they
>> fail to do so, they will fail.
>
> Eh?? The XML community cannot pretend to be or speak for the HTML
> community. There is no push to change namespaces except for HTML by the
> HTML WG.
>
> So we can expect the XML community to block any changes unless the changes
> offer some *significant* benefit. The support of the HTML WG is necessary,
> if not sufficient.

I don't think the "XML community" has power to block any changes at all.
  At present, the "HTML community" seems to have been redefined as
"browser vendors and those starving for new HTML features".  The only
even vaguely unified force I see that might yet make HTML 5 fail is
Microsoft, and even they don't have the power they once did.

I'm delighted to see the pragmatic namespaces proposal, as it
demonstrates that we're not done thinking yet.  It may well be the first
phase of the "ten years later, let's do it again" conversation.

It seems unlikely, though, that this will have any effect one way or the
other on activities at the W3C, the HTML WG in particular.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/