Re: [xml-dev] Pragmatic namespaces

Original Message From: "Liam Quin"

> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:36:05AM +0100, Pete Cordell wrote:
>> Original Message From: "Liam Quin"
>>[...]
>> If you make the namespace more obviously separable from the local name,
>> (for example, by using a : rather than another .)
>
> The you lose compatibility - namespace-aware XML processors will
> report an error

You could use the double . that Amelia mentioned, e.g.:

<father..donkeys.tbray.org>

> C2: all "new" well-formed XML documents are also well-formed under
>    the existing ("old") rules and work in existing software.

I don't agree with this requirement.  XML Namespaces 'broke' non-namespace
aware parsers, and the world survived.  For anything other than a band-aid
solution it may be appropriate for an XML Namespaces Bis parser to break an
XML Namespace parser.  In fact, to make sure an XML Namespace parser flags
an error you might want to add two colons, e.g.:

<father::donkeys.tbray.org>

Or add something like a ^ sign and really cause a parser to complain!!!

Pete Cordell