Re: [xml-dev] My proposal: Implicit namespaces

Just picking up Mikes idea on listing namespaced elements...

On 06/08/09 16:11, Liam Quin wrote:
  than Tim Bray's idea.

>> So for docbook you'd have an author include all 300+ namespaced elements ?
>
> You only need to list those elements that can occur embedded in another
> vocabulary, plus the top-level element.  For example, a list item might
> not make sense without a containing list.  So, a docbook list would
> automatically introduce the docbook namespace for all the elements it
> contained (until you got down to ones that implied some other
> namespace, such as "svg" perhaps).
>
>>     Fine if Norm had them somewhere on the net I could reference them,
>> but simply not practical to inline them in the document surely?
>
> You'd have a reference, wich could be cached.

Something along the lines of Norms|Apache catalog resolver perhaps?
What would an XML app do when it comes across an element
you've forgotten?
   Assume it to be in the default namespace or provide a warning?
Former would be weak?

Latter seems to hold potential and support shorter element names.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.