Re: [xml-dev] My proposal: Implicit namespaces

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 05:48:06PM +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> Just picking up Mikes idea on listing namespaced elements...
>
> On 06/08/09 16:11, Liam Quin wrote:
> >You'd have a reference, wich could be cached.
>
> Something along the lines of Norms|Apache catalog resolver perhaps?

That (SGML OPEN/ Oasys XML catalogues come to mind) or even
the Web browser cache and similar, for site-specific files.

> What would an XML app do when it comes across an element
> you've forgotten?
It would be in the same namespace as the parent.

E.g. if you had said orderedlist implied a docbook namespace,
then a lst element, and a para within that would be ins the same
namespace without you having to say anything.

Validation using an existing schema would involve first
adding the namespace URLs explicitly (e.g. with XSLT,
a transformation that would read the namespace file and
apply the namespaces to the instance), so that then if
you'd forgotten an element that mattered, you'd find the error.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/