Re: [xml-dev] RE: [xquery-talk] Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM- Use cases /Proposal

Thanks Michael.  I think my next step will be to document what attributes of XDM should be maintained through serialization and what will be dropped.
I agree that Node Identity is not something that can reasonably be maintained.
Ancestry is an interesting concept I hadn't considered ...
e.g. if you serialize a node $node ... its not expected that a reconstituted XDM  $node could evaluate  $node/..

Schema equivilence is interesting, I was thinking of addressing (or punting !) that concept with type information.
Ignoring (or assuming) common xsd:* types ...

If for example a value is of type   mytype:abc  ... I think agree its a good presumption that the target environment has access to the same types.
Otherwise we open the box of having to serialize all the type information along with the XDM values. Good call.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org
812-482-5224

Michael Kay wrote:
9915B4B452614D82A6BFF53ABB33B7F2@Sealion" type="cite">
Good start.

The next section before you go into specification should perhaps be
"Requirements", including assumptions and constraints. This might include
statements such as:

* Serialized XDM will retain information about the descendants of nodes in
the sequence being serialized, but it will not retain information about
their ancestors.

* Serialized XDM will not retain information about node identity: that is,
the recipient of the serialized XDM will not be able to determine whether
two serialized elements originated from the same node or merely from two
nodes that were deep-equal to each other.

* The consumer of the serialized XDM is assumed to have access to the same
schema as the producer of the serialized XDM: that is, a QName identifying a
type is assumed to have the same meaning to both the producer and consumer.

* If A and B are two XDM sequences, then xml-canonicalize(xdm-serialize(A)))
is codepoint-equal to xml-canonicalize(xdm-serialize(B))) if and only if
fn:deep-equal(A, B). [Actually, that's probably not a good requirement,
because fn:deep-equal() discards comments and PIs and you probably don't
want to do that].

These are just example statements, you might want to substitute different
ones: they are just intended to illustrate the kind of thing that needs to
be said.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/