Re: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

Mukul Gandhi wrote:
> My point was, that XSD and DTD (and also XML) are "W3C" specs. RelaxNG
> is an OASIS specification. I haven't seen W3C specs, recommendating
> users to use OASIS specs, *and* mentioning these statements in W3C
> specs themselves. Or do we have any instances of W3C specs, where W3C
> recommends users to use certain OASIS specs. This more so doesn't
> happen if W3C and OASIS develop competing languages. But I don't see
> XSD and RelaxNG as competing to each other.
W3C SVG for example uses RELAX NG not XSD.

> My simple point was, that XML spec mentions DTD as a validation
> technology but it doesn't mention today XSD it's spec. And XSD is
> another validation technology from W3C, which is vastly better than
> DTD and is a pretty stable language now.
Pretty stable? How many full implementations are there of XSD 1.1 today
(apart from Michael's?)

Microsoft isn't supporting it AFAIK.   Libxml's front page says it only
has a partial implementation of XSD 1.0.  And Mukul's Xerces release
won't be out until December, will it, hence the spruiking I guess?

>> Just like picking a programming language you
>> are free to pick the validation method you want to use.
> I agree. But my point as I have been saying in this thread, was that
> XML mentions DTD, but it doesn't mention XSD. This gives a naive user
> a feeling, that DTD is something which is integral to XML, while XSD
> is not. I believe, this should be corrected in XML spec.
Err...the naive user is correct. The entity mechanism is integrated in
XML, it is not a severable layer.  Entities are declared with the DTD
mechanism; XSD provides no alternative to this.
Rick Jelliffe