Re: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:
> W3C SVG for example uses RELAX NG not XSD.
>                     http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/

Thanks for the reference.

> Pretty stable? How many full implementations are there of XSD 1.1 today
> (apart from Michael's?)

It seems, Xerces-J' s XSD 1.1 implementation is also on the way.

I also feel, number of complete implementations of a spec is not the
only measure of usefulness of any language. The language being much
complex and providing lot of functionality, in fact I think raises the
bar on quality and skills of implementers.

> And Mukul's Xerces release won't be
> out until December, will it, hence the spruiking I guess?

I am just one of the persons, who has contributed somewhat to Xerces-J
XSD 1.1 implementation. It's not fair to say, that Xerces is mine :(
But I like Xerces very much.

> Err...the naive user is correct. The entity mechanism is integrated in XML,
> it is not a severable layer.  Entities are declared with the DTD mechanism;
> XSD provides no alternative to this.

I am really not sure, why entities are not allowed to be defined in
XSD. I believe, there is some design principle behind that, and also
the XML Schema WG must be aware about this issue I believe.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi