Re: [xml-dev] Status of MicroXML?

On 12/20/10 5:13 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
> These kind of statements assume far more homogeneity than actually
> exists. It's like saying "Programmers don't like Erlang".

Yeah.  I hate to put it so bluntly, but I think the XML community needs
to get out more, meet some new people, and figure out what other
communities look like.  (That's been true for over a decade, unfortunately.)

> Web developers range from content designers and content authors who have
> taught themselves a bit of HTML and Javascript, to professional
> programmers who are more comfortable with Java and SQL than with
> anything on the client, via developers whose primary expertise and
> training is in creating web pages. Within each of these groups, there
> are communities who like and dislike different technologies; and within
> each of these, there are some who recognize that their likes and
> dislikes are subjective and should not affect technology choices, and
> others who fail to make this distinction. Also, of course, the vast
> majority of web developers get little say when it comes to selecting the
> technologies they are using.

Yes. That last point may in fact be the most important one, especially
for developers working on the client side of application development.

> There are plenty of examples where a technology that is generally liked
> is used far less than one that is generally disliked - RNG/XSD being a
> prime example. There are also many technologies (XSLT being an obvious
> example) that some people love and others hate (with a silent majority
> who just use it to do the job in hand, judging it by its effectiveness
> rather than its aesthetics).

Indeed.

--
Simon St.Laurent