RE: [xml-dev] Concerned about the increasing reliance on XPath

IMHO ...

I think XPath "suffers" in ways XQuery and XSLT do not because it is more
reliant on the surrounding infrastructure.

And it *seems* that it was intended to be part of a bigger ecosystem, not a
standalone thing.
Otherwise things like setting the namespace bindings would be part of the
xpath language , not required to be set by the container environment.

Hence XPath is *inherently* dependent on the peculiarities of the context in
which its used.
This could be a feature or a bug depending on your point of view.

Feature:
	Imagine how big XPath expressions (which are stateless) would be if
you had to do all the namespace bindings in every one.
Bug:
	You cant write a "portable" XPath statement without the
environmental specific settings.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org