Re: [xml-dev] Concerned about the increasing reliance on XPath

On 09/05/2011 16:49, Stephen D Green wrote:
>   and we rush
> into using it for standards and for writing XML Schema
> schemas and Schematron schemas hoping that these too will
> be implementation agnostic. Is that realistic? I

The reference xslt implementation of schematron implictly removes the
implementation dependency by implementing in xslt which defines the
xpath default namespace to be as in xslt 1, unless it is changed, which
the schematron implementation doesn't do.

the draft ISO schematron spec which defines the xslt2 binding doesn't
seem to make that explicit but I think that's a spec bug.

XSD 1.1 as far as I can see doesn't leave the default xpath namespace
implementation defined either:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#element-schema

so as I said before the only open case is calling xpath directly (where
everything to do with setting namespace context is implementation
defined as it can't be done with xpath itself)

David