RE: [xml-dev] [ Revision #2 ] 15 elementary truths about XML

As I've been discussing with Betty, these gaps create production
inefficiencies in publishing, in particular, technical publishing
where a logistics group is producing very large (in excess of 1200
pages) manuals based on complex (for some n of complex) DTD/Schemas.
Using WYSIWYG to produce the content and then having "taggers" produce
the XML creates errors, redundant entry, and increases costs.  I'd
love to see a trade study that analyzes costs of using the common
operating system resident editing tools and the tagging approach vs
having an integrated development toolkit across the logistics
enterprise.

I repeat:  the CALS vets and I include the web community that followed
them should go back and clean up the bigger project that spawned most
of us.  If you toss the inability of so-called "taggers" who can enter
data but can't analyse the markup, read the DTD/Schema much less debug
the XSL/FO/PDF process, it is questionable what the value of XML is
and yes, it is being questioned despite the fact that the ability to
create multiple post-tagged products from it is well proven (see
paper.format vs frame.format in ETMs and IETMs).  It is as if we
recreated an even more redundant version of the 1970s/80s tech pubs
groups that employed an army of stenographers and technical typists.
That was the problem we were trying to solve and somewhere we lost the
thread of that initiative.

len