RE: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

Were back to the problem that SSL doesn't solve the problem (today)  it was
originally intended to solve.   But it happens to solve *this* problem (as
long as you ignore the fact that both ends may be insecure - in which case
all bets are off).

But yes the crux is that Authentication in pure HTTP is either insecure or
hard.
That's just the way it is (as far as I know).

<rant>
This is why a particular annoyance of mine is the false-sense-of-security of
CA signed certificates.
If browsers didn't put up an ugly warning about how scary a self-signed
certificate was then more people would use SSL and the internet would be
more secure.
But if you use plain HTTP you don't get a warning - just insecurity.
Why is it like this ? My only guess ... "Follow the money ..." ?

</rant>

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org