Re: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

Things changed because the market changed.  In the 1980s the markets
for software in Europe were to put it mildly, soft in comparison to
the domestic markets.  On the other hand, as someone who was working
in a company that sold to the Middle East and Europe at that time we
certainly were aware of internationalization as well as the other
problems of the smaller markets such as the intense tribalism that
forced us to hunt through every document we shipped for any drawing
that suggested a Star of David, mentioned Israel, etc.  For all the
good ideas, the problems of European markets are also there.

It took the consolidation of a lot of different companies around
Microsoft products to change the vertical stacks into horizontal ones.
  The web was the next impetus but overall, until a truely integrated
international market existed, there were few compelling market
arguments for it.  The work follows the money.  Sad but so.

The Chinese cooperation with efforts such as X3D are notable.  They do
tend to look for the bits being ignored over here and figure out ways
to profit by them, and interesting habit for a Communist country, and
smart.

<aside>The Americans aren't unaware.  We tend to regard all markets as
profit centers and leave the social work to social workers.  For all
the talk in the last twenty years about openness, the most profitable
businesses in this industry are a) American and b) closed.   No one
plays what's mine is mine and what's your's is mine as well as Apple
plays it and others such as Amazon and Facebook are shuttering the web
blinds to plays from companies that rely on openness such as Google
even as some free ride on Google openness and sharing in technologies
such as Android.

I believe the change from cooperation to close and capture has come to
the web overall.  How this will play out in standards and
specifications is pretty easy to guess.  It is going to get
increasingly harder for the innovators despite all political speech to
the contrary.  This is a good time for the young ones among us to
think long and hard about their ambitions and values given that so
much of what they have been taught about the web philosophies while
right in spirit are increasingly unviable in practice.  The bad old
days are coming back, Michael.  Just one opinion...</aside>

len