RE: [xml-dev] "Introducing MicroXML, Part 1: Explore the basicprinciples of MicroXML"

David,

> On 25/06/2012 16:10, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> >>
> >> Why _would_ you expect them to be underlined if the xml is
> not being
> >> rendered? I certainly would not. If you send unknown xml
> to a browser
> >> it is not styled _at all_ Why would you expect links to
> work as links
> >> if headings are not working as headings and paragraphs are not
> >> working as paragraphs?
> >
> > The XML is being rendered.  It displays as nice syntax coloured,
> > indented XML.
>
> Unknown XML gets pushed through a default XSL stylesheet that
> shows the _markup_ as such you would not expect links to act
> as links. This is a "view source" kind of application. You
> should only expect the links to act as links if the markup is
> being interpreted not if the _markup_ is being displayed.

OK I think I had guessed that at some time in the past, but forgotten it.
What I would wish for is that the browser interpret the markup then, and
find the links, rel, type, method etc so that it can act as a
go-between my javascript (which it would have to load because it
had recognized the @rel="script" @type="application/javascript" part of
my affordance, as well as possibly others.  Because the browser is
charged with the protocol (content negotiation, for example.  method
selection, for another).  So code-on-demand would work not only for
HTML, but also more powerfully, for anything XML.

Now, substitute XSLT 2 for javascript, and we are cooking with hypermedia gas.

> > Regardless of what the elements are, what namespace they're
> in, what
> > encoding the document is in.  OK, I don't *know* all these
> things to
> > be true, because I have not written any browser code, but I've
> > witnessed it.  And so far my experience holds for
> application/xml, but
> > not for any +xml media type.  So those browser guys can
> only be pushed
> > so far, apparently.
> >

> >> If you associate a stylesheet with the xml via xml-stylesheet or
> >> another means then you can make paragraphs be rendered as
> paragraphs
> >> and make links be underlined. (If you use css rather than
> xsl I think
> >> you still can't make the links be links but that's an
> issue for css)
>

> > No, I don't think it is a CSS issue.  It is the fact that the links
> > aren't recognized by the browser parser.  I think!.
>
> It isn't a browser parser it's a browser supplied XSLT (at
> least it is in IE (which did this first) and Firefox. So
> actually it could show anything (since the output if an XSLT
> stylesheet needn't be particularly related to its input).
>
> In firefox you can see the default stylesheet by following
>
> chrome://global/content/xml/XMLPrettyPrint.xsl
>
> I would guess you could get it to use a different default
> styling if you wish.

OK thanks for reminding me and helping me back on to that learning curve.
I still stand by my comments above though.

Peter